Out of Control Kids
An increasingly high number of children are being labeled as "out of control." Once simple, discipline is now taking a new turn. Dealing with new disorders can be hard on parents, teachers, and principals. But how much is too much? And when it comes to discipline, how far is too far? In the new recently, there have been reports of children being arrested, yes arrested! Is that really necessary? Well, you'll be the judge of that one today. Check out the videos and links below. After watching and reading, answer the discussion questions that follow.
Another six-year old was arrested about a month before hand. Click here to read the CBS News article about the arrest of the young girl in Georgia.
Some of these are completely outrageous! If you think that is bad, watch this next video. Police arrested 3 9-year old girls and an 8- year old boy.
But wait....there's more! Click here to read about kids your own age who were arrested for things as minor as dropping food in the cafeteria and not cleaning it up properly!
Discussion Questions:
Answer the following questions thoroughly and completely. Make sure that you proofread your answers BEFORE you submit your response. (Errors will be counted.)
1. Do you feel that the arrests that were made in these cases were fair or not? Explain Why or Why not.
2. How would you react if you were arrested or ticketed for a simple mistake made in school like burping or drawing on a desk? How would your parents react?
3. What would happen if our school began to operate in this manner? Would it help or hurt our school community? What about the school district as a whole? Would it be better or worse?
Dimitri E.
ReplyDelete1) No I don't feel that those arrests were fair. I don't think they were fair because those kids were very young and didn't know any better. What good does it do to arrest little kids in elementary school? Nobody else's lives were at stake so I don't think handcuffs were necessary unless you're just trying to scar those kids.
2) If I was to be arrested at school for something like that, then I would go berserk and yell at the cop for arresting me. My parents would do the same because those are such ridiculous reasons to be arrested. Neither of my parents would even consider punishing me for something so stupid.
3) If our school started acting like that, then all the kids would be arrested because all my friends that are guys burp at the lunch table and in Athletics, and my friends that are girls, draw on the desks when they are bored. It would hurt the school community because kids would start to think that it's no big deal to get arrested, so when they get arrested for something IMPORTANT, they still don't care. The district as a whole will look like a bunch of rebellious kids that like to do whatever they want, and nobody will want to be in the district. It would be way way way worse.
Dominique F.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading and hearing about the actions made by these children and the punishments given, I would have to say that I believe that in the first to case including young children, the disciplinary measures taken were necessary. Had he children in these cases gotten away with battery and forcing another student onto railroad tracks, they might have began to believe that doing these things were okay and started to do worse things as they got older. In the last few cases I read about I would say that the punishments given were over-zealous and very ridiculous. I mean if I were arrested for doodling on a desk, I’d probably be more than a little mad and I think it’s safe to say that my parent’s would feel the same. If all of the students ever caught burping or writing on a desk were arrested we would have a huge lack of students attending school. If our school ever began to arrest kids for things as silly as burping, there might be an all out rebellion that would in turn greatly hurt our community and school. If this ever happened our whole school district would be ruined because the kids attending the schools and their parents would never stand for being arrested over silly things. Overall we would be better off if we never adopted this method of discipline.
Noreen S.
ReplyDelete1. The arrests made for these situations is reasonable. If a 6-year-old has done the same thing before, and then he did it again, it is a reasonable thing. When 4 kids push a kid onto railroad tracks, it's very serious and should be dealt with the way it was handled.
2. I would think it was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Then, my parents would complain for hours and give me a lecture about my actions.
3. If our school/school district did this then many of our kids would get arrested. Our school/school district would become worse and everyone would hate school.
1.The arrests made were extremely unfair because they are nine and eight year olds and eight and nine year olds arrant capable of committing crimes.
ReplyDelete2. I would be really mad at the police officers because its not really a crime to draw on a desk or burp. also my parents would be really mad to.
3.I think if our school started to operate in such away that it would hurt our society.It would be worse for the school districts as a whole.
Hayden T.
Aaron R.
ReplyDelete1)No I do not believe these cases were not fair. Being arrested for dropping a simple cupcake or burping should not be a reason for getting in trouble. Accedents happen and these accedents should not be something to fuss over.
2)If I was ticked for doing those things I would not be happy at all. I would give up till they took away that ticket. If my parnets knew they would not be happy at me or the police man. They would probly ground me and give the police a ticket.
3)I think it would be a bad idea if the school operated this way. Not only would students and parents would complain but soon they will probly start ticketing teachers as well. This would hurt our district badly.
Canon M.
ReplyDelete1.) Not really, no. Why should little six, eight, and nine year olds be arrested? They're little kids! They don't know any better. I know some people would argue that they learned a lesson, but they shouldn't have even thought of doing something like that until they called the kids parents. Doodling on the desk, burping, food fights... Kids do that all the time, every day. It's a part of our nature to act like that.
2.) I would be outraged, but would fully cooperate. My parents would find that quite stupid and would most likely sue. They don't believe in being punished for petty things like that.
3.) If our school acted like this? You'd have a drop of students in classes, and they'd have to build a new jail! Almost every single kid does this almost every single day. It's the same for the whole district. Children act like this, and if you want to arrest them all, sure, but you're going to have a hard time to teach school with only a handful of kids. Most definitely, it'd be worse.
Nina R.
ReplyDelete1. I think these cases are unfair and stupid because some don’t even allow the students with the rights other Americans have when getting charges pressed against them. When someone is arrested, they have the right to a Trial by Jury and the right to hear the charges against them.
2. I would be OUTRAGED and TRY to EXPLAIN MYSELF. My parents would think it was retarded and they’d stick up for me.
3. Everyone would be OUTRAGED and WOULD RATHER ATTEND PRIVATE SCHOOL THAN THAT RETARDED SCHOOL. It would HARM the school because no one would want to attend that AWFUL place. If the district put that in effect, honestly, I would rather go to a PRIVATE SCHOOL. It would be HORRIBLE for the school’s financial success. All the private schools would get the money.
Maddy M.
ReplyDelete1.) I feel the arrests that were made in these cases were unfair because children do not always know the consequences of their actions. Young kids just believe that they will not be punished and will get away with whatever they do wrong.
2.) I would be very surprised and so mad if I were arrested or ticketed for a simple mistake made in school. My parents would not be happy. They would definitely be surprised that the school would do something like that.
3.)If our school began to operate in this manner the students would not want to come to school because of how strict and unfair it is. This manner would absolutely hurt the community because a large amount of students would be considered criminals. This would be overwhelming to our district as a whole and would hurt our society.
Alexus G.
ReplyDelete1. No i do not believe that the arests in these cases were not fair at all. Its pointless do that in the first place. How does it help us? It teaches us that we should be scared to do anything that might be a "VIOLATION TO THE CODE OF CONDUCT." The little kids will be scarred for life afters they've been out in jail cells. especially those little girls! it was excrutiatingly outragous to do that! i was shocked when the girl's grandfather told the news repoter about the 15 year old boy and then turning around when he had to take a PISS! I would of sued them (not the boy but the police department) for doing that....
2. if i was arrested for simply burping or drawing on desks, i would wait to see if they would tase me. It would give my parents more the reason to sue! They'd sue the police (even though they're charges would probrobly be dropped) and the school as well as the teacher themself for reporting me to the officer in the first place. I would not tollerate that at all! Gosh! i would go in to a big snit, if they even tried to touch me. i would be ten tinmes worse than kiera (spellcheck) ever was!....
3.If the school began to operate in this manner i would automatically switch schools. as will alot of other students. the parents of the kids would never allow their child to be an enviroment like that. And it would definetly hurt our school community. like i already said, most parents would not tollerate that without a doubt. As for the school distric as a whole: Personally it would be alot worse. I would think that people ought to and will start petitioning (spellcheck) and having marches about stopping all of this "wrong-doing" thats what i would do...
Ana R.
ReplyDelete1.)In these cases of kids being arrested at school, no i don't think they were fair arrests. At our school, kids have been arrested for things like fighting on campus, or harming another person, but these reasons are absolutely stupid.
2.)Well first of all, i probably wouldn't be burping or writing on a desk... But if for some reason i was wrongly accused or arrested for a simple mistake, i would most likely not say very nice things (especially if the cop was a certain cop who hangs around our school alot), but i would not resist arrest, because we all know that would just get you in more trouble. Now i can't speak the same about my parents (especially my father) who seems nice & funny on the inside, but when you mess with his baby "darlin, you better watch your back!"(and i quote). Let's just say my dad is a boiling irish man on the inside, and in this situation would not hesitate a bit to show it. My parents know people, who know people, who know even more people.... And before long, there would be quite alot of people who are upset with the State Legal System.
3.) Quite a number of things could result from our school operating in this way. In my "humble opinion" I believe this would bring our school community down. Students would not have a sense of trust with teachers and faculty because they would constantly be afraid of the rediculous and idiotic consequenses they could possibly face. As for the school district as a whole, we would probably become known as "that district" the one where people all across the state think we are "delinquents" because there are so many kids being arrested. If they didn't get the whole story of what happened, our district would be looked down upon, and our value would decline extremely fast.
I really feel sorry for the children in these schools and districts that feel they need to be arrested for blowing their noses ("Oh im sorry, is that your tissue?")
(But if i was arrested for blowing my nose, i would try my best to find a way to blow my nose on the shirt of the officer who arrested me.... Just sayin!)
may g
ReplyDeleteI do not think the arrests made were fair at all, i think the schools are just getting all of these kids arrested because they can. The reasons why they're getting arrested are not reasonable. If i was to get arrested for something like this my parents would probably fight for it. I feel that if the school and school district began to operate like this they would have many problems on their hands with parents and the community as a whole.
MonicaD.
ReplyDelete1.I do not think that these arrest were fair to the children, the school, and most of the parents. I wouldn't want my child being arrested during and at school without my knowledge of it.
2. I would be very surprised that such small things cause the police to come in. I would think that being arrested for burping during class would be stupid. It would be dumb because i would be arrested just for not having good manners during school. My parents would be outraged because they would have to take time out of their day just to come to the police office and pick me up for something so small that i could easily fix by practice. They would also be upset because it is not like i could stop myseld from burping; when you have a gas build up, you have go to let it out! Also, my parents would not sue just because how the policemen help in communites everywhere. My parents would try to stop this from happening to other children.
3.If our school began to operate in this function, i would have protest and try to remove of this. It would hurt our school community by getting many parents angry. I also think that it would improve our school manner and behavior wise. So whenever a student gets arrested for bad manners, they will stop the habits and also stop them at home. This applies so he district as a whole as well. So over all, this operation would be a good thing but would mostly be bad because of all the time wasted with all of the non-sense!
Bond M.
ReplyDeleteNo I do not think these arrests were fair because there are things much, much more important that go on in school than these cases.
If I got arrested for something like that or ticketed my parents would be angry at the person who arrested me, and a little mad at me because its rude. But what law prohibits burping? Couldn't somebody file a court case for something like this? If our school was in this situation it would totatally hurt the school. Who would attend this school?
Eshan Z.
ReplyDelete1. The whole situations should have been handled by the school
2. I would have been angry and try to fight the charges back. My parents would have been even angrier than me.
3. If our school ran like this it would be terrible. It would give the distinct a bad name
Adama M.
ReplyDeleteIt is unfair that kid's as young as 6-years-old are being arrested. Kids that young should have an alternative punishment that doesn't result in them having a criminal record at age 6. I would not react as surprised and in disbelief for a ticket for drawing on a desk (vandalism) as I would being arrested and having a criminal record. That's not something you want to carry around with you throughout you're life. My parents would be ashamed and mad. I feel like they would be ashamed that I would do something that stupid such as vandalism (writing on a desk). I think our school would be better if it started to follow these rules, kids would actually work instead of doodling on desk and writing on bathroom walls. I think it would be excellent for our district because the crime rate would go down and the literacy rate would go up. I think it would be absolutley amazing for everyone.
Daniel P.
ReplyDelete1. I think majority of these votes were unfair. I f someone drops cake on the floor the police should just tell someone with authority and have them sent to the office these cases are all bad but were not handled properly, although two or three of them were.
2. If I was arrested for something, I would just let them cuff me. Sure it would be scary, but resisting can get you tazered or shot. Besides, resisting can only make it worse when you are telling the story to the judge.
Daniel P.
ReplyDelete3. If our school operated this way, it would not be good. So many people would be in jail and it would dramatically hurt our community. Besides, middle school kids could never survive in jail.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete