Teens driving is a scary thought...well to me anyway! The facts show that Texas has the highest numbers of fatalities in the country related to teens behind the wheel. Watch the video below, and discuss whether or not you think the new changes that are being implemented are necessary, fair, and realistic.
Daniel L.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do think it's fair to put more rules for teens behind the wheel because if a strict policy is established it may save a life and maybe someone that you might know.
Canon M.
ReplyDeleteWatching this video, I do believe that the new changes are necessary. Those 556 lives should not have been loss. And I agree we should try to prevent more teens from joining those numbers. I also believe that they are realistic. You can never be to careful with your children's safety. If you care for your family, you'll agree that you want them to be safer on the roads. The only thing I don't agree with, is if it's fair. Fair means equal. Why I do agree that this would treat all teens equally, it isn't fair for the teens who have places to be, jobs to get to. Maybe they should take drivers ed a step farther for the students who need a little more help. Not the ones who know what they are doing. Maybe they should increase the hours a little more. Just to prepare those teens who still have trouble. Maybe raise the drivers age. And I agree with Jake Rivera. I would prefer to have some of my friends and my brothers off the road. Doing this could save 221 lives, and the 1.5 billion extra dollars. I agree that's a lot of teens, and a lot of money, it's not fair. Why should all teens face consequence for what others did? So why I do believe that it's necessary and realistic, I do not believe it's fair.
Dominique F.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do believe that the new changes being made concerning teenage drivers are necessary because there is no good reason to waste life if there are ways to prevent an untimely death among our teenage population. I also believe that the rules are fair. Teens are the ones dying in crashes, so they should have more rules and regulations when it comes to driving. However, I do not think that the rules are realistic at all. Trying to keep ANYONE from texting/talking on the phone while driving is almost impossible and believing that a bunch of teens will follow this rule is just wishful thinking. So while I do think that the new rules are necessary and fair, they are no where near realistic yet .
Dominique F.
ReplyDeleteYes I do believe that the rules concerning teens are necessary because theere is a way to save lives then we should take advantage of it.I also believe that the new rules are fair because if teens are the ones that have a greater chance of dying in crashes, then they should be the ones to have more rules and regulations concerning their driving. However, I do not think that some of these rules are realistic at all. For example, the video said that teens in some states are not allowed to use their phones while driving. Well I think it's pretty obvious that trying to get anyone to stop using their phone in this day and age for more than 5 minutes is just wishful thinking. Besides, some people use their phones to find out where to go to and when while they are in their cars. This rule just wouldn't work out because their would have to be to many exceptions to it. Furthermore, are police really going to take the time to pull over a person they think they MIGHT have seen texting and/or talking on the phone? No. So in conclusion, yes this rule is necessary and fair, but I don't think that it is very realistic at all.
Stephen j
ReplyDeleteI think that most of these new rules will save lives and are fair and realistic, but i do think that the talking while driving can be altered. I think that people under 18 should be able to use their cell phones to call but not text. Most people can drive confidently with one arm for a little bit of time. The passenger rule and triple the training time i agree with. Mostly because it can save lives.
Monica D.
ReplyDeleteI think that the new changes in laws are necessary for the safety of the young adults in Texas today. I think that we need these changes because when it comes to the safety of someone, there are no boundaries. These new laws are fair because there are not a lot of freedoms that are taken away. So what if you get your licence only when you are 18, but on the plus side, you will have a longer experience of having a permit, knowing what and what not to do. These changes are realistic because theses new laws are fair for everyone( teens and parents). With these changes I do believe that Texas will have less teen deaths than the past years,and hopefully won't be number one for the most teen deaths by car accidents. With these changes, parents will have less weight on their shoulders knowing that their kids are not driving wreckless.
Alexus G.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the new laws being made for teens driving is necessary. If that many teenagers are getting hurt or killed then they should be under those strict guildlines. So they are fair. Most teens would say no but those who disagree could be the next one to get hurt by driving. It is very realistic like Jake Rivera saif that he doesn't really trust his own friends. So I agree with him because all of those 556 teens parents would do anything to take back their childs life and not let them drive until age appropriate. I agree with the new and more strict laws for all teens out there barely knowing which is break and so on...
Elena F.
ReplyDeleteYes, I believe they should change the law against teen driving for saftey. The only down fall to this is many teenagers have responsibilities like going to work, picking up younger siblings, and helping out with errands, which is not fair.
Dominique F.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do think that the new rules concerning teenage drivers are necessary because if there is a way to save innocent lives, then we should take full advantage of it. I also think that the new rules are fair because if teens are the ones getting into more crashes, then they should be the ones to have more rules and regulations concerning their driving. However, I do not believe that all of the rules are realistic. For example, the video said that a new rule would be "No use of a cellular device while driving." Well, I think its fairly obvious that thinking that a group of teens is going to stop texting while driving just because the government says so is just wishful thinking. Furthermore, do you really think that a police officer is going to pull over someone who sort of looks likes a teen that looks like they might be illegally texting/talking on their phone? NO. So in conclusion, i do believe that the rules are fair and necessary, but I think that the writers of this law might need to rethink just how realistic it is before throwing it onto the shoulders of the public.
averie b.
ReplyDeleteI think that the changes are necessary. Teenagers should get a chance to mature a little more before they start getting on the road and driving. It is probably not fair because teenagers want to get their license as soon as possible so delaying that wouldn't be very fair to them! I think it could be realistic because the government usually does what they want, so if they wanted to change it they would!
Mackenzie M.
ReplyDeleteI agree that texting while driving, and the curfew are good for teen drivers, and are necessary. I also think no one should be texting while driving if they are a teenager or and adult. I do not think that driving with one passanger who is under the age of 21 and is not a family member is realistic. Carpooling is good for the enviorment and teenagers should be allowed to participate in that.
David A.
ReplyDeleteI think the new laws are necessary and fair in order to protect our young adults and all our citizens. I think they are necessary because here in Texas we have the most deaths in young adults due to driving, but with these laws we can prevent deaths and preserve life. They are also fair because obviously teens are the ones causing many deaths so then that means they must have more laws and rules until they become experienced drivers. However, I don't really think SOME rules and laws are realistic. For example, I don't think the rule where you can't have more than one young adult under the age of 21 that is not part of your family is realistic, I mean, how is a cop going to know whether or someone is part of your family. Plus many teens want to drive in order to be able to drive themselves and their friends places, but this rule would change people's plans. also i am 50/50 on the law that states that you can't use your phone if you are under 18. Half of me says this would prevent many car crashes, yet what is someone is 17 and is headed to the hospital because a family member is dying and they are talking to them on the way until they get there and then the police stops them on the way foreign on the phone. that would stink because you are waisting time and who knows maybe by the time you get there after the police stopped you they might be gone, but other than that i think the rest if the rules and laws are realistic and reasonable to prevent more car accident and deaths in our society of our young adults and citizens, and we would all be a happy community because teens get to drive and less people die! It's a win-win situation!
Madison B.
ReplyDeletei do think the changes are necessary, because it said in the video that most teens die in traffic accidents in texas then in any other states. That means that we should change the driving age defiantly in texas but also in other states so we can be a safer. it also said that 556 teens lost their life's driving so we need to make that number 0 so no teens lose their life's.
Maddy M.
ReplyDeleteDifficult to say this, but I think it is necesary to change the driving age to eighteen. Fifteen, seems like an immature age to get your learners permit and be on the road. The number of distractions would be to overwhelming for someone at this age. I believe it would be unfair for both teens and parents because the teens have been waiting to get out of the house and the time that they will have to wait extra will have to extend. The parents will now have to be bothered by their teens to drive them places they have to be. This plan could work, but many people will be unhappy. All that matters though is that more people will be safe on the road. Most parents would rather have their teens alive than dead. If this law is put in, the number of fatalities among teens will decrease because there would be none behind the wheel.
Ana R.
ReplyDeleteAlthough 15 is an early age to be driving (even with a permit), i think to some extint, and in some situations, early driving can become necessary. These rules may be able to shrink the amount of fatalities in young teen drivers,but what the video has failed to show, is the fact that it may not have been the teen that was driving who caused the accident that resulted in their death. They need to remember drunk drivers, and just plain bad drivers, could have been the cause for the deadly accidents, that resulted in the loss of many teenage lives as well.But, then again I am not saying that teens should be driving as young as 15. I would say, that if driving were held off until 16 or even 17, it would be not a NECESSARY change, but it is deffinately a realistic one.Increasing the driving age may be fair to parents of teens, but teen drivers wouldnt like you very much. It all comes down to the driver, and their experience, and experienc-ES behind the wheel.
Aaron R.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do think that the new rules about teen drivers are necessary because they are getting into more crashes and causing more deaths every year. The rules however, I do not agree on. I think they just need to be more carefull and watch what thy are doing.
Bond m.
ReplyDeleteI can see why people want these laws, and I do beleive in rules... for new drivers, not only teens. You might think that a lot of teens get in a lot of wrecks (which is true) but if you think about it, its not really age, but expierence. Meaning even if you were to make the driving age 21(im just using this age as an example), you got to start somewhere so you will be seeing a lot of wrecks in 21 year olds. Also much more wrecks occur with people over 21 than new drivers because they have legal and generally easier acess to alchohol. Also why not make texting and driving illegal for everyone, because its not like a 60 year old lady is going to be a better "texting driver" than a kid new to driving. So i do not beleive in strict rules strictly for teens, but every driver in Texas because i beleive it will save more lives.
Noreen S
ReplyDeleteYes, new driving laws should be applied. They are necessary because it's better than having to die because another persons reckless mistakes. No, it isn't fair but people need to suck it up and realize, just because you're a perfect driver doesn't mean others are. Yes, it is realistic because mobile phones are big distractions and if you get in an accident, it's better to only have one other person in the car with you. Besides, why would you want to drive past 12?. You should be at home sleeping for school the next day, I mean you are only about 18.
Adama M.
ReplyDeleteI think that the rules do need to change and you should have to be 18 to get full driving privileges. Teens get into too many crashes, and the rule that you get your full driving privileges at 18 could save 221 lives in Texas. A lot of people wouldn't have to grieve just if they make this change of driving laws, only 1 little year to save 221 lives!
Claire s
ReplyDeleteYes I think they should change the driving age law because many deaths occur from teen driving.But there are tasks that teenagers must also do like driving around siblings so I think there should be special cases that the government allows.
Eshan Z
ReplyDeleteYes the changes should be made, it would save lives of teens and other drivers
Dimitri E.
ReplyDeleteYes I think that it is necessary to put more rules on new drivers, because we would see saving more money, because we wouldn't have to worry about spending a lot of money for wrecks. And more importantly we wouldn't be having teens get hurt or killed behind the wheel. I don't think new drivers realize how dangerous a car can really be, until they get into a wreck, and get someone hurt in the situation. I car is definitely not a toy. It's to get from point A, to point B.